- General Laboratory Safety
- Administrative Controls
- Eating, Drinking and Applying Cosmetics In The Lab
Eating, Drinking and Applying Cosmetics In The Lab
Food ingestion and chemically contaminated drinks are sources of chemical exposure. Bringing food or beverages or storing in chemical refrigerators or cabinets them causes such contamination. Storing food or beverages in chemical cabinets/refrigerators facilitate chemical absorption by vapor. Thus, chemical exposure takes place upon consuming food or beverages stored with chemicals. Therefore, eating or drinking in the lab is strictly forbidden.
Along with food and beverages, cosmetic products also have potential to absorb chemical vapor and dust. Applying cosmetics in the lab, including hand lotions, also enables chemical absorption and is another source of skin exposure, particularly in the areas where hazardous chemicals are stored.
To prevent exposure to hazardous chemicals through ingestion, do not eat, drink, chew gum, or apply cosmetics in areas where hazardous chemicals are used. Wash your hands thoroughly after using any chemicals or other laboratory materials, even if you were wearing gloves, and especially before eating or drinking
It should be noted that, although several chemicals show acute effects of exposure, effect of certain chemicals might not be seen in a long term even though exposed repeatedly (chronic exposure). Chemical exposure both by food beverages and/or cosmetics may have short term and long term effects.
References and sources for information from the relevant websites and documentation of different universities, NGOs and government agencies used in the preparation of this website are provided at references.