Strains, sprains, fractures and bruises are common injuries related to the handling of materials. They are caused primarily by improper lifting techniques, carrying too heavy of a load, incorrect grip, failure to observe foot and hand clearances, and failure to wear protective equipment.
- Inspect material for slivers, burrs, and rough or sharp edges.
- Keep your hands free of oil or grease, wipe off any grease or slippery objects before you move them.
- Keep a firm grip on the object to be moved.
- If an object is heavy or clumsy get help lifting it. Discuss beforehand how the object is to be moved and set down.
- Be sure the path over which an object is to be moved is clear of obstructions before you start.
- Always lift with your legs and not your back.
- Watch pinch points, especially when setting the object down.