Strains, sprains, fractures and bruises are common injuries related to the handling of materials. They are caused primarily by improper lifting techniques, carrying too heavy of a load, incorrect grip, failure to observe foot and hand clearances, and failure to wear protective equipment.
- Inspect material for slivers, burrs, and rough or sharp edges.
- Keep your hands free of oil or grease, wipe off any grease or slippery objects before you move them.
- Keep a firm grip on the object to be moved.
- If an object is heavy or clumsy get help lifting it. Discuss beforehand how the object is to be moved and set down.
- Be sure the path over which an object is to be moved is clear of obstructions before you start.
- Always lift with your legs and not your back.
- Watch pinch points, especially when setting the object down.
References and sources for information from the relevant websites and documentation of different universities, NGOs and government agencies used in the preparation of this website are provided at references