Ph.D.: University of Connecticut B.Sc. and M.Sc.: İstanbul Technical University
Our research is centered around understanding the effects of defects and microstructure on the physical properties of functional oxides. Using continuum level computational and experimental approaches, we try to reveal the mechanisms by which defects and interfaces impact the physical properties and at what magnitude this occurs. Such knowledge is the key to design and fabricate structures in various geometries for specific engineering applications. The applications governed by such phenomena encompass macro- and micro-scale capacitors for electric energy storage, non-volatile solid state memories, nanoscale devices, electrothermal materials and electrooptical thin films.
Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- A. P. Levanyuk, S. A. Minyukov, M. B. Okatan and I. B. Misirlioglu,“Effects of interphase boundaries in Landau-like theory of two-phase states in clamped systems”, , invited contribution for the special issue “Domains and Domain Walls in Ferroic Materials” in press, Journal of Applied Physics (2020).
- A. P. Levanyuk, M. B. Okatan and I. B. Misirlioglu, “Landau, Ginzburg, Devonshire and others”, invited paper for 50th Anniversary of Ferroelectrics 569, 1, 310-323 (2020).
- E. M. Alkoy, M. B. Okatan, E. Aydin, Y. Kilic, I. B. Misirlioglu and S. Alkoy, “Effect of Anisotropy on the Electrical and Electrocaloric Properties of 0.90Pb(Mg1/3Nb2/3)O3-0.10PbTiO3 Relaxor Ceramics”, Journal of Applied Physics, 128, 084102 (2020).
- O. Zirhli, N. G. Akdogan, Y. N. Odeh, I. B. Misirlioglu, E. Devlin and O. Akdogan, “Fabrication and Characterization of Fe16N2 Micro-Flake Powders and their Extrusion Based 3D printing into Permanent Magnet Form”, Advanced Engineering Materials, 2000311 (2020).
- M. E. Uslu, I. B. Misirlioglu and K. Sendur, “Crossover of Spectral Reflectance Lineshapes in Ge-doped VO2 Thin Films”, Optical Materials, 104, 109890 (2020).
- A. K. Sadaghiani, H. Rajabnia, S. Celik, H. Noh, H. J. Kwak, M. Nejatpour, H. S. Park, H. Y. Acar, I. B. Misirlioglu, M. R. Özdemir and A. Kosar, “Pool boiling heat transfer of ferrofluids on structured hydrophilic and hydrophobic surfaces: The effect of magnetic field”, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 155, 106420 (2020).
- P. Erkoc, Y. N. Odeh, N. Alrifai, O. Zirhli, N. G. Akdogan, B. Yildiz, I. B. Misirlioglu and O. Akdogan, “Photocurable pentaerythritol triacrylate/lithium phenyl-2,4,6-trimethylbenzoylphosphinate-based ink for extrusion-based 3D printing of magneto-responsive materials”, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, e49043 (2020).
- A. K. Sadaghiani, R. Altay, H. Noh, H. J. Kwak, K. Sendur, I. B. Misirlioglu, H. S. Park and A. Kosar, “Effects of bubble coalescence on pool boiling heat transfer and critical heat flux - A parametric study based on artificial cavity geometry and surface wettability”, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 147, 118952 (2020).
- M. Janipour, I. B. Misirlioglu and K. Sendur, “A theoretical treatment of THz resonances in semiconductor GaAs p-n junctions”, Materials, 12, 15, 2412 (2019).
- M. E. Uslu, R. A. Yalcin, I. B. Misirlioglu and K. Sendur, “Morphology induced spectral reflectance lineshapes in VO2 thin films”, Journal of Applied Physics, 125, 22, 223103 (2019).
- C. Sen, W. A. S. Aldulaimi, O. M. Moradi and I. B. Misirlioglu, “Loss of spin polarization in ferromagnet/ferroelectric tunnel junctions due to screening effects”, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 52, 015305 (2019).
- M. E. Uslu, I. B. Misirlioglu and K. Sendur, “Selective IR reflectivity in highly textured phase change VO2 thin films grown via oxidation of metallic V films on substrates” OSA Optical Materials Express, 8, 8 (2018).
- O. Mohammadmoradi, C. Sen, G. A. Boni, L. Pintilie and I. B. Misirlioglu, “Strong composition dependence of resistive switching in Ba1-xSrxTiO3 thin films on semiconducting substrates and its thermodynamic analysis”, Acta Materialia, 148, 1-13 (2018).
- A. P. Levanyuk, S. Minyukov and I. B. Misirlioglu, “Loss of elastic stability and formation of inhomogeneous states at phase transitions in thin films on substrates”, Ferroelectrics, 533, 1, 1-9 (2018).
- E. S. Kocaman, E. Akay, C. Yilmaz, G. Bektas, H. Türkmen, I. B. Misirlioglu and M. Yildiz, “Monitoring damage state of fiber reinforced composites using a fiber Bragg grating network combined with temperature measurements”, MDPI Materials, 10, 32 (2017).
- I. B. Misirlioglu and S. P. Alpay, “Compositionally Graded Ferroelectric Stacks as Wide Bandgap Semiconductors: Domain Stabilities, Dielectric Properties and Origin of Low Loss”, Acta Materialia, 122, 266 (2017).
- A. P. Levanyuk, S. Minyukov and I. B. Misirlioglu, “Negative bulk modulus and loss of elastic stability near tricritical transitions in thin films on substrates”, in the 500th Special Issue of Ferroelectrics (2016).
- M. Janipur, I. B. Misirlioglu and K. Sendur, “Tunable surface plasmon and phonon polariton interactions for moderately doped semiconductor surfaces”, Scientific Reports 6, 34071 (2016).
- I. B. Misirlioglu and K. Sendur, “Ferroelectric/semiconductor/tunnel-junction stacks for non-destructive and low power read-out memory”, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices 63, 2374 (2016).
- A. P. Levanyuk, I. B. Misirlioglu, “Strong influence of non-ideality of electrodes on stability of single domain state in ferroelectric-paraelectric superlattices”, Journal of Applied Physics 119, 024109 (2016).
- I. B. Misirlioglu, M. Yildiz and K. Sendur, “Domain control of carrier density in a ferroelectric-semiconductor interface”, Scientific Reports, 5, 14740 (2015).